Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Finding my way in Tatsaway Land

A bit more of my adventures in tatsaway land. When I learned to tat the dear lady had no written or charted patterns all she did was edgings. The edgings were very elegant but used only rings and picots--the picots were not joined and there were no chains. After getting the hang of rings and picots I slowly began re-inventing everything that has been done already--except written and charted patterns.

To me patterns were something you figured out as you went with no two items ever the same even if I was trying to remember how I did it before. Joining at picots was a challenge...my technique wasn't particularly good but it worked--since then I've learned a much quicker, easier, nicer, prettier way to do joins. Chains were rediscovered when I picked up the wrong thread--crochet 10 thread--and began tatting...the ring was a disaster but the chain was discovered.

My next project is to learn how to add a picture to my blog...I have a few scans but they aren't the kind of thing one wants to show off...I used them to learn to read patterns....with more mistakes than anything...maybe I will eventually post them to help others learn the easier way...education not experience...

Peace,

3 comments:

Marilee Rockley said...

The lady you learned the basics of tatting from sounds so sweet! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your tatting here.

Unknown said...

That's a nice story about learning to tat! Like Yarnplayer, I also look forward to seeing your pics about tatting! :)

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Pretty soon you'll be a pro at all this blog stuff! I'll try to wait patiently for pictures....LOL!